Jump to the main content block

Health Insurance for foreign students


Foreign Nationals from Hong Kong, Macau, China, or Other Countries who Reside in Taiwan with an Alien Resident Certificate(ARC )

The National Health Insurance Act stipulates that foreign nationals who with Valid Alien Resident Certificate or Resident certificate for the Taiwan area( including those from Hong Kong, Macau and China) must be registered in the National Health Insurance program upon living in Taiwan for 6 months (6 months of continuous residence in Taiwan or with one trip abroad not exceeding 30 days when the actual residency period of 6 months is reached after the days abroad have been deducted). But those people who get work permits with ARC must join the National Health Insurance program by their employer starting the day they are employed.

1.Foreign students
(1)Foreign students can apply to enroll in the program through their school.

(2)Those who receive permission from the National Immigration Agency under the Ministry of the Interior to extend their stay after graduation shall proceed to the district office of residence to extend their enrollment in the NHI program.
2.Those with fixed employers
Those with a steady job can register for the program through their employers.
3.Those who are unemployed but able to enroll as a dependent through a relative (i.e., parents, spouses, or children) could participate in the National Health Insurance program through a relative's insurance registration organization after six months continuous residence in Taiwan.
4.Those without a fixed employer or family members with whom dependency can be claimed, must, after six months of consecutive residence, enroll through the local administrative office where they reside.
5.Company chairpersons/owners
They must enroll in the program through their company after six months of consecutive residence.